Thursday 28 July 2011

The White House Special

A number of restaurants and cafes in the Cardiff area have signed up with the Chicago-based internet giant Groupon, who offer online discounts for limited periods. The idea is that local businesses get new customers through their doors, who may become regulars. However, I suspect it’s often regulars who snap up some of these bargains.

At the New York Deli (High Street Arcade, Cardiff) today we used our Groupon coupon (bought for about £6) to get lunch for two with hot drinks to the value of £16.80 (I don’t think it’s possible to spend more on lunch for two there).

Under the circumstances, this was the time to go for the White House Special, which is the New York Deli’s biggest and most expensive hoagie.

The White House Special contains turkey, ham, pastrami, coleslaw, Swiss cheese and mayonnaise, barely contained by a long bread roll. It’s a massive meat and coleslaw feast. I had it with the Reggae Reggae sauce (I think this one really benefits from one of the hot sauces on offer). My partner had the New York Hoagie.

In general, Groupon vouchers do make you opt for the more expensive things on the menu, items you would not usually go for. This was certainly the case today. I was hungry, so I finished my White House Special. It was good, and I will not need to eat again today!

Links
A short video of Harriet Davies, owner of the New York Deli (which celebrated its 20th anniversary in Cardiff last year), posted by Hannah Waldram:

A previous post on the New York Deli:
http://sfnottingham.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-york-deli-cardiff.html

No comments:

Post a Comment